Subject: Business / Management
Cover all following questions in case study.
The goal for the case experience is for you to practice identifying a company’s
strategy and to evaluate its pros and cons which will allow us to identify the
issues or problems and then develop recommendations to address these
Use some of the tools and information below to prepare your notes for the class
case discussion and analysis.
1. What s Panera Bread’s strategy? What are the chief elements of the company’s
2. Perform and SWOT analysis (see chapter 4)
3. What are Panera’s core or distinctive competencies (see chapter 4 pages 83-84 and
4. List some Key Success Factors for the industry the Panera operates in–"fast-casual"
segment of the retail industry
5. Evaluate Panera’s financial performance and operating performance (see chapter 4-key financial ratio analysis)
6. Which of the five generic competitive strategies discussed in chapter 5 most closely
fit the competitive approach that Panera is taking?
7. What are the primary components of Panera Bread’s value chain? (see chapter 4)
8. What strategic issues and problems does Panera management need to address?
9. During class, we will create a set of action recommendations to address these issues
and problems. APPENDIX 1
Case Study Report’s Format
The format for all case study reports is detailed below. In the elaboration of each of these sections,
the student should include concepts from the chapter covered in the course. I. Introduction Brief history of the company Information about the industry II. Company mission (stated or implied)
Company objectives (stated and implied)
Complete SWOT analysis (include support)
Financial data for at least three years (As a minimum, include the income
statement, balance sheet, summary, and all the ratios. This is available from
annual reports, Yahoo Finance, etc.) Main Body of the Paper Statement of Problems and Purpose of analysis (Specify the salient problem, and
explain why selected.) Identification of strategic alternatives available (a minimum of three mutually
exclusive alternatives: explain logic and feasibility, and give advantages and
disadvantages at the corporate and SBU level). Recommended strategic alternative with data and factual information to support
your recommendation(s) Implementation plan (activity plan) recommended for the company (including
challenges and issues). Evaluation and control plan III. Conclusion Short Summary Reference section Support materials for the Company. (Research documentation) Here, watch these videos to prepare case study: Also add these details to in case